This virtual appliance is ideal of you want to deploy a CentOS server. It’s only about 600MB compressed as I only included the defaults packages in a CentOS minimal installation. I also did some basic best practice configuration to make it more secure . Of course I could have hardened it a lot more, but I wanted to keep it easy to deploy an use.
It’s an ovf file, so you can use it with pretty much any hypervisor, including VMware, Virtual Box, Xenserver and Hyper-V.
To login, use the following credentials :
user : root
password : secure
To download my CentOS 5.5 x64 virtual appliance, use one of the followings links :
Here are the details of the configuration :
- Installed only the defaults packages
- Modified the default partionnning :
- lv_root / 8GB
- lv_tmp 1.5 GB /tmp
- lv_log 1.5 GB /var/log
- lv_swap 1GB swap
- Updated the packages (may 19 2010)
- To increase performance, added divider=10 to the boot parameters
- Disabled the useless services (note that you will need to enable some of the services if for example you want to run an NFS server) :
- 0213456 nfslock
- 0126 acpid
- Disabled ctrl-alt-del reboot in /etc/inittab
- Added noexec,nodev,nosuid to the mount option of /tmp
- Modified PS1 so that your prompt will appear in red when you are logged as root
- Removed port 50,51 and 631 from the default open ports in iptables, leaving only port 22 and ping request open.